As winter sets in around Cape Girardeau County, you will probably hear someone say, “Baby, it’s cold outside.” That is when January home maintenance is the last thing on your mind.
We still have a few home maintenance items to take care though…even when it’s cold. Remember, doing a little each month prevents the overwhelm of doing it all at once or even repairs caused by neglect.
January Home Maintenance Checklist
Most of the January Home Maintenance Checklist will allow you to stay inside where it’s warm. Let’s get started…
- Check Furnace Filters / Change If Needed
- Test Carbon Monoxide & Smoke Detectors
- Clean Range Hood & Filter
- Vacuum Refrigerator Coils
- Run Water & Flush Toilets in Unused Spaces
- Check Water Softener & Add Salt if Needed
- Clean Garbage Disposal
- Inspect Fire Extinguisher(s)
- Treat Septic Tank
- Cut Back Roses & Rose Bushes
I love having roses around my home and if you are the same, January is the ideal time to cut back roses. All blooms have gone dormant at this point and new growth has not started. If you are brave enough to get outside for a while this month, find a warm day to take on rose care.
Just in case you missed December, you can find it here.
So there you have it, Cape County! A few January tasks to keep your home running smoothly all year long.